tigris: (Default)
[personal profile] tigris
Thursday, February 12, 2004

Well I’m out of the country for the first time. I’ve never been outside of the US. There is no kind of internet access or connection here, unlike what was in my documentation for this place, which is somewhat annoying, but I’ll deal with it. If I ever have the chance I’ll try and update the livejournal with this stuff, but at this point I have no idea when that will be.

In order to encourage myself to sleep on the plane, instead of waking up at 4am to get ready to leave, I stayed up the extra four hours. It worked okay – I was able to sleep on the plane in bits and pieces. But more on that in a few minutes.

Louvre drove us to the airport and dropped us off. We were running a bit late (it’s 4am… I’m naturally slow at 4am…) and the folks at United Airlines decided to give us a hard time. They refused to let us check our bags, saying we had to wait for the next flight. Annyoing, but I could deal with that. They bitched at Tanan for his passport being out of date, and when I showed them my legal paperwork they looked at me like I was from mars and had to show their supervisor. “There’s this Matthew person here who’s paper’s don’t match her ID….” Total idiots. They threatened not to let Tanan go, but we managed to work that out. Good thing too since the tickets are non-refundable. So we waited in line for two hours, and instead of the 6am flight we made the 8am flight. There was wireless at the airport in San Jose, but I was too tired and it wasn’t worth $8/day.

Didn’t get to Montreal until after dark. The airport was deserted – they had to evacuate the airport for some security scare (nitro in someone’s medication, we were told), and so no one was around. Customs gave us no problems, and finding the residence was also pretty easy to do. Tanan bought me dinner at a little hole-in-the-wall French Canadian hamburger stand, and I was moved into the residence.

Not all the others in the residence are older than me. Two are younger than me, the rest older. One of the older ones is a furry fan from Boston who knows Foxina and them. Anyway. I’ve been up for more than 24+ straight hours and need sleep. Night all! Can’t keep my eyes open…

Friday, February 13, 2004

Good morning, all. It’s snowing outside and there’s already two feet of snow on the ground. Dr. Brassard should be by today for consultation, and then Tanan and I will be off to explore the wilds of Montreal for the next three days. Sunday however is the nasty pre-surgery prep day, and then Monday is the knife. I expect I’ll be back here to the care center on the Thursday following that. Then I’ll be recovering here in the care center for the seven days following that, and then of course I get home on the 26th.

There is one guy here and two who are younger than me. In all there are seven patients here, which is reduced from their usual numbers. I sort of like the quiet. They haven’t given me grief about being so young, which I’m glad for. I usually get that a lot back home.

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Spent yesterday watching trains with Tanan and being generally railfannish. Saw the surgeon today, and got to ask him a few questions – he’s a nice, quiet, unassuming type guy. Had fun doing it. I think my body is almost re-acclimated to the new time zone. Lisa is coming up today from the bay area, late this evening. I plan to spend today seeing the sights in downtown Montreal since it’s pretty much my last day to be touristy. Though I really am anxious to get this started. Dunno why we come up here two-three days early. I’m very anxious to get this underway. Been tired almost all the time. I think it’s the jet lag. They say it’s just being around all these post-operative people – like sympathic tiredness.


Went and saw Montreal today. Saw the rubber-tired subway, the underground city, met up with Lisa who also had flown down to see me through this, and we had Greek food for dinner. Montreal is kinda like Omaha but in French. It’s all flat (no mountains) and currently under two feet of snow, and really really cold. However it’s all broken up into Islands, kinda like New York (New York Island = Montreal Island ; Long Island = Laval Island, etc) It’s also got this university culture that Omaha doesn’t have, in addition to subways and underground cities that Omaha doesn’t have. But when you drive down the street there are all kinds of familiar things, so it’s just like Omaha – only in French.

Had three things I wanted to do today. One, recharge the cell phone, two, get online for a few minutes to update livejournal, and three, exchange all the Canadian coinage I have for bills. Got an AT&T minutes recharging card in downtown for my phone, only to find it’s not compatible with my phone. But still makes a good calling card so I can call folks at least. I finagled on the phone with AT&T for an hour before the phone got fixed. Paid $3.50 (Canadian) and got online for 30 minutes at a little internet/network gaming joint. A buncha Canadian boys were network gaming C&C Generals as I updated my livejournal. I was unable to upload this journal, but I could at least say that I had no access, what my schedule was, and that the cellphone worked. I couldn’t check my email, but no biggie. I finished in 25 minutes and let Tanan look at macsurfer.com for the last five minutes. The third thing I never had time to do. I’m exhausted but not tired, strangely, so I’m going to work on the story I’m editing for a while until I fall asleep. Tomorrow is when the fun (pain) begins.

Sunday, February 15, 2004

Today was one of those hurry-up-and-wait kind of days. Sat around the residence, was shaved and bowels irrigated. I’m at the hospital now. There will be more irrigation and more paperwork. Tomorrow is the big day, up early, pills, and then anesthetic. You probably won’t hear from me for a day or so until I become coherent again. One girl had a boyfriend break up with here today – talk about a bad time to dump someone. Anyhow, I’m very anxious to get on with this and so I’m doing nothing but waiting.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Got moved to the hospital Sunday night, was wheeled into surgery at 8:45am (saw a clock when I left), and I was out like a light at 9:15am (clock on the OR wall right before I passed out). Next memories are a little vague, so I can’t say for certain, but I know for sure I woke up in my room – and was actually coherent – Tanan and Lisa were both there. I think I was awake when they rolled me in, but I don’t remember it. I do remember wanting people to talk around me, so that I knew they were there, as I couldn’t keep my eyes open. You’d have to ask Tanan and Lisa. Spent the rest of yesterday craving food and getting periodic pain shots. The first one was really bad because I was in so much pain rain before I got the shot. Things got better from there, and the pain got less and less. Tanan went home yesterday afternoon to get home in time for work the next day. He seemed to be coming down with a flu as he left.

The food has been nothing short of great. It was toast and eggs this morning, Salmon for lunch, and GREAT chop suy for dinner. I couldn’t eat much of it, because I wasn’t too hungry, but it was good. Lisa took my laptop to her room and did an email run, so I have some email to look over, read, and reply to. Most of it is livejournal posts to reply to, so they won’t get answered until I have a ‘net connection again, I’m afraid. Lisa has been here at my side in the afternoon and evenings both days so far, usually being there to talk to and keep me company. I got a call from AutieSolder earlier in the week at the residence, and I got calls from Afan both yesterday and today, and I called (and got calls back from) both Aayrick and Tanan, and even got a call from Beth Mitchroney who told me all about the legal gay marriages going on in San Francisco this week and the high winds in the Bay Area. There now, you see – I go away for a week and look what I miss?

I got up and walked around a bit today. Sat in a chair, went to the bathroom on my own two feet, and stuff after being bedridden for fourty eight hours. There was a lot of bleeding yesterday, but it’s all but gone today. I’m a little worried about the fact that I haven’t heard from Shaunpup, Cinsangel, or any of the other gargcon folks that I was hoping to hear from while here in Montreal. But it’s only the first Tuesday. Over a week still left. I finally have the phone number for the hospital here, but by the time I post it online I’ll already be home. I hope they call the residence. I’d like to see them, but just a phone call would be so nice. My roommate is one of those types who is a compulsive liar and won’t shut up. But I can’t complain too loudly, I got to go first Monday, so Tanan got to see me awake before he headed back to the states, and I have the bed next to the windows. I’ve got my laptop set up and am writing again.

One thing that concerns me is I told Tanan that I was really hoping to hear from Alendria and Crissa while I was up here, and he’d try and get them to call. When I spoke to Tanan this evening he says there’s a reason they won’t call and that he can’t tell me why. That has me worried.

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags


tigris: (Default)

Style Credit

Page generated Oct. 22nd, 2017 08:08 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios
March 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 2004